Symptoms of Allergic Reactions
Don't let your allergies keep you down and interfere with the holiday cheer! Look out for common symptoms or bodily changes after you ingest or are introduced to a new environment.
An allergy is where your body reacts to something that's normally harmless like pollen, dust, or animal fur. The symptoms can be mild, but for some people, they can be very serious.
Causes of Allergies
Things that cause allergic reactions are called allergens.
Common allergens include
- tree and grass pollen (hay fever)
- house dust mites
- foods, such as peanuts, milk, and eggs (food allergy)
- animal fur, particularly from pets like cats and dogs
- insect stings, such as bee and wasp stings
- certain medicines
Symptoms of an allergic reaction can include:
- a runny nose or sneezing
- pain or tenderness around your cheeks, eyes or forehead
- coughing, wheezing or breathlessness
- itchy skin or a raised rash (hives)
- feeling or being sick
- swollen eyes, lips, mouth or throat
When to call emergency services
Call emergency services if:
- you get a skin rash that may include itchy, red, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- you're wheezing
- you get tightness in the chest or throat
- you have trouble breathing or talking
- your mouth, face, lips, tongue or throat start swelling
Luckily, at Heal 360, we’re pretty well-versed in all things to do with allergic reactions. If you think you might be developing an allergy like hay fever, don’t let it take control of your life. Head to your nearest Heal 360 clinic and our expert staff will provide you with all the medical advice you need.